Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Japanese steamed cake, DIY Tornado in a bottle

 
June school holiday begins next week.  What are your plans for your kids?  I have already booked a Mangroves Adventure 3-day camp with Terraminds from 2 to 4 June 2014.  For the rest of the days, we probably will visit the museum, explore a new playground, play at Grandma's house and more soccer, or even pop by our neighbourhood library for a storytelling session.  These outdoor activities (I hope) would pretty much occupy my energetic boy for the one whole month of June.  If weather is not favourable, it is also a good time to bond with our children by engaging them perhaps with some home baking or even some easy science experiments which I'm going to share here.  It was an awesome experience for us. 
 
We made Japanese steamed cake together allowing my son to free hand doodle on the batter before we steamed it.  My boy wanted to draw kerropi frog but somehow, the finished products did not turn out and resemble kerropi.  It did not matter at all.  Most importantly, my little man enjoyed the process and happy to eat his own steamed cake that he made (with my help).  The receipe can be found here.  Except I added pandan flavour that my boy loves.
 



 
 
 
 
Next, we created a Tornado in a bottle.  It was fascinating for my boy and he just could not stop swirling the bottle.
 
Materials
  • 1 plastic bottle
  • 6 small aluminium foil balls
  • water
  • blue food colouring
  • teaspoon
  • clear dish liquid soup
 
Steps
 
  • Pour 1 teaspoon of dish liquid soup into the bottle
  • Drop aluminium foil balls
  • Add food colouring
  • Rotate the bottle to create a swirling motion.
 

Enjoy.....



 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments: