Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Very Berry Overnight Oats

I have been trying a variety of methods to prepare oatmeal hoping that my son would fall in love with it.  (Both my hubby and my son are not fond of oats either). Not very successful except that he would eat it when he was ill.  And he associated it as a sick person's comfort food.  Since Papa is away for my mother in-law 49 days prayer, I decided to try something new!  Overnight Oats or similar to Bircher Museli - a name I just learned from a friend in Switzerland.  At the same time, I got a helper (my boy) to prepare the breakfast yesterday evening.
 
We had some new food on the plate this time i.e. Black Berries and also Chia Seeds.  Although Chia Seeds is a power food that packed with Omega 3 and Omega 6 Fatty Acid, dietary fibre, protein, antioxidants, essential vitamins and minerals, we ought to be mindful of the side effects it might have.  Nevertheless, the drawbacks are harmless and manageable.  For instances increased gas (flatulence) and to a person who is allergy to mustard seeds or on medication also best avoid chia seeds,  If giving to a kid, I gathered from this site that not more than 1 to 2 teaspoons for a start.
 
The receipe I adopted calls for 1 tablespoon of Chia Seeds and considered a serving for an adult consumption. 
 
When I brought it out from the refrigerator this morning, it was gluey and gel like texture.  I would add more milk and perhaps to sweeten it with more fruits next time.  I scooped out a small portion for my son aged 6 years old and I finished the rest.  Indeed a healthier and nutritious breakfast!!


 


No comments: