Friday, February 6, 2015

Just Teddy


# 347

 


The bento was inspired by Just Teddy, a storybook written by Emily Lim.  It is about a lonely teddy bear trying very hard to fit in with the toys in a toy factory. He even goes to great lengths to blend in with the polar bears, pandas and penguins and almost lose his identity.  We had borrowed and read this storybook many times.  An excellent read that I even bought it as a present for his cousin, Elly.  I could resonate the story.  Being an only child, my boy long for playmates and always wants to blend in with his friends.  Monkey see monkey do!  A follower initially.  As he grow older, assertiveness sometimes come into play and occasionally, I could see him being a leader during a game.  I have reminded him repeatedly that he must have his own mind and not to follow blindly.  I hope he would find his soul mate just like the teddy in the book.
 
Teddy bear was made of onigiri with his features punched out from seaweed. I used a toothpick to represent teddy' holding a marker. Dab a grain of rice and wrapped around the pointed tip with nori before inserting into his paw.  Notice one of his eye was different from the other? Yeah, a mischief and a permanent mark that left behind as a result of attempting to blend in his animal friends. (Read the book and you will know what I mean.)   His rice was flavoured with wasabi furikake.  On the side, he has stir-fried chicken breast with soya sauce, celery with carrots plus some imitation crabstick red stars I pressed out from a mould.  Some green and black grapes to go along.
 
 




emily lim teddy

1 comment:

Karen said...

Hi! I chanced upon your blog when searching for lunch box ideas. Is there a way to contact U via email?

Appreciate if you can contact me dailykits@gmail.com